If you’re looking for an eco-friendly and effective solution for your chicken’s bedding needs, hemp might be the perfect option for you. Hemp chicken coop bedding is becoming increasingly popular as an alternative to traditional bedding like straw and wood shavings. In fact, straw doesn’t really belong in a chicken coop, explained here by poultry expert Kathy Mormino, The Chicken Chick. Here, we will explore the benefits of hemp as chicken coop bedding and how to use it for your flock.
Benefits of Hemp Chicken Coop Bedding
1. Comfortable: Hemp bedding provides a soft and comfortable surface for your chickens to rest on. Its resilient fibers remain soft, which helps to prevent abrasions and keeps your chicken’s feet healthy.
2. Absorbent: Hemp bedding is highly absorbent, which helps to keep your chicken coop clean and dry. It can absorb up to four times its weight in moisture, making it ideal for keeping your flock’s coop fresh and hygienic.
3. Eco-friendly: Hemp bedding is biodegradable and compostable, which means that it won’t add to the waste in landfills. Hemp is also a sustainable crop, as it grows quickly without the need for pesticides or herbicides.
4. Cost-effective: Although hemp bedding may cost more initially, it can save you money in the long run because it lasts longer and absorbs more moisture than traditional bedding materials. Additionally, hemp bedding can be used as fertilizer after it has been composted.
Using Hemp Chicken Coop Bedding
1. Preparation: Before adding hemp bedding to your chicken coop, clean the area thoroughly and remove any old bedding. Hemp bedding comes in compressed bales or boxes, so you’ll need to fluff it up before using it. Add a layer of hemp bedding about 2-3 inches thick to the bottom of the chicken coop.
2. Maintenance: Monitor your chicken coop regularly for wet or soiled bedding, and replace it as needed. You can compost the used bedding, which makes it an excellent fertilizer for your plants.
3. Storage: Store your leftover hemp bedding in a dry and cool location, as moisture can cause it to mold. To ensure the bedding stays fresh, keep it in airtight containers or bags.
Hemp chicken coop bedding is an excellent choice for those looking for a high-quality and eco-friendly bedding option for their chickens. It is comfortable, highly absorbent, and sustainable, making it a worthwhile investment in the health and happiness of your flock. By following these tips for using hemp bedding in your chicken coop, you can provide your chickens with the best possible bedding experience while also reducing your environmental impact.